I was recently going through some old documents when I came across this list of Lead Teachers Responsibilities, who wrote it or
where it came from I do not know. I love to read things like this because it makes me think! Am I doing the best I can as a Children's Ministry Teacher. Am I praying for the children enough, training the other adults in the room or following all the policies in place. Although as teachers work as a team and share the responsibilites somone nearly always takes the lead. How is your leadership?
Lead Teacher Responsibilities
- To maintain a safe atmosphere for the children in their class; ie no hot drinks, thumb tacks, pins or sissors within a childs reach, and no uncovered electronic outlets or unsecured exits for preschoolers.
- To know emergency procedures in care of an accident.
- To organize and lead the other teachers and children in evacuating the facility in emergency situations.
- To be aware of any medical needs of their students.
- To meticulously hold to policies- eg two adult rule, ratios, check in/out. To create a happy ministry.
- To communicate needs to the children's ministry leader.
- To deligate responsibilities to all assistant teachers, training them to be lead teachers.
- To focus on and connect with the children – building great relationships with the children should be a key goal of the teaching.
- To have music playing at every opportunity during class.
- To be totally prepared before class starts and to be ontime.
- To hold assistants accountable to being totally prepared and on time.
- To consostantly enforce class rules, and gently but firmly deal with any disapline problems.
- To have a variety of preselected songs.
- To always use an open bible when teaching the lesson.
- To encourage the children to bring their bibles.
- To encourage the children to be sharing what they learned in class with others.
- To instill the life application.
- To hold to the objectives put forth in the curriculum.
- To help the children with memory work.
- To manage snack time.
- To evaluate the class and make appropriate adjustments to take it higher.
- To dress appropriatly – no torn jeans, dirty sneakers, and to hold assistants to the same standard.
- To not allow the children to misuse the supplies.
- To communicate with the substitutes what their specific role or responsibility will be. To communicate with parents with a positive, encouraging attitude. If there is a disapline problem, ONLY the lead teacher should handle the communicaition with the parent.
- To divide the class so every teacher is praying for a specific group every day.