Editor's note: The following is shared from the North River Church of Christ newsletter.
We, as the Leadership Team, didn't want to close out 2017 without expressing our heartfelt thanks to all of you for the support and generosity you have demonstrated throughout the year. Our church has been steadily growing over the last several years in rather dramatic ways. You have responded with ongoing and sacrificial support, financially and otherwise. As we reflect on the year, it seems only fitting to recap some of the many highlights we have accomplished together this year through God's grace:
- For the third year in a row, more than 100 people have been baptized into Christ
- Our Sunday attendance has been consistently between 1,100 and 1,200
- We added ministry staff to the Young Families, Youth & Family ministries, etc.
- Generosity Sunday contribution topped $600,000 for the first time ever, supporting:
- Missions in Africa, Europe, Latin America, and Douglas Jacoby's Teaching Ministry
- The Swamp (church camp) and several churches in the Southeast
- Vulnerable children and orphans in Africa through HOPE worldwide
- Summer ministry internship program and the YES! Ministry
- Updates to the Worship Center and other property improvements
- Developing strong presence in Atlanta through our Intown Community
- EDGE Ministry organized into four distinct community groups
- Transitioned to two Sunday services with the help of increased volunteers
- Reorganized the church board and added diversity and experience to allow for more effective governance
- Installed three new elders to better meet the needs of our growing congregation
- Through our benevolence program, helped many in our families, supported the needy in our community, and also helped victims affected by the hurricanes in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico
- Played the role of "superhero" to vulnerable children with HOPE for Africa
Clearly these things would not be possible without your generous support. Even though we have accomplished much together this year, there is still much to do. We invite you to help us finish the year strong and prepare for an exciting 2018 by prayerfully considering a year-end gift. While we have had a good year of giving, especially Generosity Sunday, we are a bit behind on our regular budget and operating expenses of $40,000 per week.
No doubt, challenges await us in 2018 related to our current growth and vision. There is a need for help and development in several ministry areas. A significant challenge will be the obsolescence of our Teen Building on campus. We have an opportunity to turn the site into a vibrant community center to help us meet the needs of our current North River family and advance our vision for North River's role in the community.
Perhaps sometime this year you intended to make a regular weekly contribution that was overlooked. You may have realized some windfall as this year closes out. Perhaps you've realized an appreciated investment since it's been a good year in the financial market. You can contribute gifts of this type, which could offer tax advantages (Please contact our CFO for more details on stock gifts).
Always remember, it is your gifts of time, money and energy that enable North River to continue to do Christ's work. Thanks for being a part of the unfolding story that is North River, both locally and in many places around the world.
Love in Christ & Happy Holidays,
North River Leadership Team